1. My mother is one of eight but my father was an only child so my family is totally lopsided
2. And out of those eight Irish children on my mother’s side; one moved to South Africa, one to London, another to Scotland, one to America (Hi Mom!), and one sailed the seven seas and came home calling himself the Duke of Marmalade. true story. We have accents out the yingyang.
3. My paternal grandmother’s family was written about in this book and I think that’s about the coolest thing in the whole wide world.
4. One of my first cousins (he’s 21 years older than me and used to change my diapers) was one of Margaret Thatchers speechwriters. This is one of those things that is kind of cool and kind of not if you get my drift.
5. My father marched in Selma and on Washington with M.L.K., and in J.F.K.’s funeral procession. It absolutely kills me that he won’t be there to tell the stories to my future children. (Sidenote: my father’s mother, marched along with him on Washington and when I asked her to tell me about it, her response was, “it was hot”. Thanks for being so succinct Nana.)
6. My mother is so smart she graduated school at 14. Hello Doogie Howser.
7. My brother is an actor and it’s pretty surreal to be watching something like The Tudors and go, oh look, there’s my brother.