Well lookie here, Sarah of Avoir La Peche has passed the Sunshine Award my way! It’s been ages since I’ve done one of these so I’m delighted to play along. I’m always happy to have some sun shining my way. The rules: 1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger, 2. Share eleven random facts about yourself, 3. Answer the eleven questions set by your nominating blogger, 4. Nominate eleven bloggers yourself, 5. Post eleven questions for your nominees to answer then let them know they’re up.
1. I hate my hair. OK, hate is a strong word, I take that back, I don’t hate it, but I don’t really like it. It’s curly, which as so many people tell me is oh so wonderful, but honestly, I can probably count on my hands the number of good naturally curly hair days I’ve had in my life. I think my hair looks prettiest after it’s been put in big velcro rollers, but ain’t nobody got time for that.
2. My So-Called Life is probably my favorite television show of all time. I recently watched the whole thing again (the French version, Angela, 15 Ans… such a dumb name) which was easy since it is sadly only nineteen episodes, and in doing so I confirmed just how much I love Angela, Rayanne and Ricky. And let’s not forget Jordan Catalano, because that would be impossible. The moral of this story about me and My So-Called Life is this; it makes me feel old, like crazy old, because I’m basically the same age as the characters and all of the high school scenes basically looked like it did when I was in high school, so yeah, I’m old [insert sad face].
3. I’m lucky in that I fall asleep very easily (at night, in bed, not like randomly throughout the day like I have narcolepsy or anything). Once I get into bed and read for a few minutes I’m out. But, if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night, forget about it. My brain switches on, my thoughts race, and getting back to sleep is damn near impossible. If it’s past 4:30AM and I’m awake, I just go ahead and get up.
4. Speaking of sleep… I don’t do naps. I don’t like them, they make me cranky. Gregory takes a twenty minute nap everyday and wakes up completely refreshed. Me, I wake up from a nap and feel like I’ve been drugged. Even back in Kindergarten during those God awful forced nap times I never napped. I felt like it was a waste of my time. It would have been a much more effective use of my time if I had been coloring or something.
5. Confession: I prefer the original Le Petit Village to the new Le Petit Village. Yes the new Le Petit Village is much more convenient than the old one, but it’s sadly lacking that certain, je ne sais quoi.
6. I have really grown to love cooking. I’ve always liked it, but now I love it. The whole thing has become a relaxing ritual for me, a way for me to unwind. It helps that I have a plan before I even get into the kitchen, but still, once I get in there, pour myself a glass of wine and get to work, I’m happy as Larry.
7. I’ve recently implemented a Sunday Lunch policy at chez nous. Sunday Lunch is a big deal in France, but before, if Gregory and I were actually home on a Sunday (a rare occurrence) and alone, we’d usually skip it. Of course we’d eat something, but we wouldn’t do the whole thing. Well that’s changed. Now, even if it’s only the two of us, at midday on a Sunday you can find us beginning l’apéro, before sitting down to a set table and a full meal including cheese, dessert and coffee. It’s our new ritual and I’m loving it.
What flavour of ice cream is most like you & why?
Oh that’s easy, chocolate chip. Hee Hee. (Stumped? Read this post.)
Chocolate or Cheese – you have to give up one now for the rest of your life. Which will it be?
Chocolate. I can live without chocolate, I only really crave it about once a month (ladies, you know what I’m talking about) but cheese on the other hand, cheese is my life.
What is the craziest place you’ve been to in the world and why?
Bucharest. I was in Bucharest for Christmas one year and spending the holiday with a local family. It was freezing and surreal. It was the place that felt ‘most foreign’ to me. That said, I’d go back in a heartbeat. (If you’re interested, I wrote more about my trip to Bucharest in this post.)
What is your ‘claim to fame’? I.e. what famous person have you met, hung out with, or have you ever been famous for something yourself?
Wait. I’m not famous?! (KIDDING!) Well Mr. London is kind of famous, and I went on a date with a former Arsenal and Manchester United player (I’m not going to tell you his name because after the date I found out he was married and was like, LATER! D**K.) Years ago I dated a guy that was on Road Rules so that’s like D-List fame, but I did use to pal around with Henry Thomas who was Elliott in ET but more recently can be seen in that new disaster of a show, Betrayal (Sorry Henry, but that show blows.)
What blog post did you read by someone else and wish that you had written it?
Oh wow, good question! Because I’m awfully cranky this morning due to waking up on the wrong side of the bed after a not-so-good night sleep (see number three above), I’m going to cheat a bit and mention blogs in general as opposed to posts. Also, please note that I used the word blogs and not blog… Betsy Transatlantically writes some thought provoking posts that just blow me away, while Postcards from Rachel’s honesty always leaves me in awe, and Hey Natalie Jean is quite the wordsmith, making even though most banal subject seem like a magical adventure.
What musical act dead/alive do you wish you could see?
I wish I could see the Beastie Boys one more time. RIP MCA.
What was your favourite nursery rhyme, song or poem when you were little?
Oh that one is easy! This Little Piggy. I love This Little Piggy! Having my mom do This Little Piggy on my teensy toesies when I was a tot, was pretty much the best thing ever.
Have you ever walked out on a film? Or wished you had have done? What film & why?
YES! Only once, but I did, it was Renaissance Man, not even Mark Wahlberg’s adorable face could save that atrocity.
What day in your life has been more significant than any other?
The day I was born, February 4th, 19blahblah.
If you could bring any imaginary film or TV character to life for a day, who would it be?
Jax Teller, but only if he’d take me out on a date. (Dear Gregory: It’s OK for me to date Jax Teller, right?)
And finally…..Prince Harry or Prince Wills? (assuming Wills were still single)
Back in the day I would have said Wills, he was so cute, until he started looking more and more like Charles, so now I’m totally Team Harry. Plus, you know a night out with Harry would trump a night out with Wills any old day. Strip pool anyone?
1. How would you describe your version of a perfect home?